Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Bachelor Wedding: Molly marries Jason



Yes, it's true. I am a shameless fan of The Bachelor and have been since it began back when I was probably somewhere around 17 or 18 years old. (Okay, so maybe it hasn't been THAT long...or maybe it has!) When ABC announced the second wedding of a Bachelor couple to be televised, you know I set my DVR to record! After watching it yesterday I thought I would share the things I loved and the things I could've lived without for their lovely wedding day.

Let's start with the top 5 things I could have lived without. (I want to finish this post with the things I loved!)

5. All of the other "stars" of The Bachelor who were guests and featured on the 2-hour special. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of Ed and Jillian, but save that for a Bachelor special. It seems as though these reality TV faces made up much of the crowd, and though it is fun to get their updates, I would have rather seen other more important people. Are they really Molly & Jason's nearest & dearest? Maybe they are! Remember this when you are making your guest lists.

4. In the middle of their vows, all of a sudden host Chris Harrison throws us to commercial! And speaking of vows, I didn't hear any "in sickness and health" or "til death do us part" even in their own words. I am all about making your vows your own, but make sure you're promising (AKA vowing) to do something, not just sharing what you love about your hubby- or wife-to-be.

3. The lack of Plan B on the part of the wedding planner & designer. The planner did confess that she hadn't dealt with that kind of forecast before on a wedding day, but you should try to plan ahead. Knowing that this event took place in L.A. and knowing their event resources there, a tent or canopy should have been ready to go to cover the entire event space. At some point in the day, it is the responsibility of the wedding coordinator to make a decision that will be best for the couple, their family, and their guests. This one should have decided to erect a really beautiful clear tent over the space, still giving the outdoor feel, but keeping the guests and the lovely couple protected from the downpour. ALWAYS have a Plan B. If you are not okay with Plan B, you should probably plan an indoor occasion.

2. The awkward dove release done by the mothers. Not only am I not a fan of the dove release, but I would say that the guests who had to duck to avoid dove-in-the-head probably weren't either. They were released from what appeared to be heart shaped white wicker baskets. Overall, the reason I think I didn't enjoy this moment was because it didn't seem very much like Jason & Molly's style. Molly's a little more hip than that!

1. The fact that NO ONE got Molly & Jason an umbrella in the middle of the torrential downpour! The camera whisked around to all of the guests whipping out their clear umbrellas and smiling & laughing, while Molly's Ken Paves hairdo melted in the rain. Where was her wedding coordinator on that? Or how about a guest selflessly giving up their dryness so that the bride could save her hair, makeup, and dress? Here's a pointer for outdoor weddings...always stash AT LEAST ONE umbrella near the bride and groom (or even on the front row) if there is the slightest chance of rain.

Oh, and one last thing...why didn't anyone straighten Jason's GIANT boutonniere? It was floppy the whole time!

Okay, enough of that, let's get on with what I loved in this wedding. Here are my Top 5 Favorites:

5. Molly's overall look! Her Monique Lhullier gown was a stunner and fit her like a glove! Those green Manolo heels were to die for (as were the bridesmaids'), and her Ken Paves styled hair looked super nice, especially after it was re-styled for the reception. Her Neil Lane jewels were to die for, too! I love how Jason complemented her as soon as she met him at the aisle (grooms take note)!

4. The overall styling of the wedding ceremony was lovely. It appears that the ceremony space was built by the designer in a "blank space." I loved the simple, natural look of the ceremony and how it was updated with the lounge seating for the guests rather than seating them in individual chairs. I was glad to see that they went with this style over the mega-pink bash a la Trista and Ryan from the first Bachelor wedding.

3. Okay, I will admit it. I loved watching the paparazzi getting tackled to the ground, the set-up crew chasing the garden "walls" as they blew away in the rain, and Chris Harrison's umbrella flipping out while the wind blew. I just kept thinking to myself "I am SO glad that's not me!" At the same time, I kept thinking of how much easier things could have gone if they had created a rain plan for their staff. They should have called J.Bailey Occasions!

2. The reception was gorgeous and appropriate. Not too much, not too little. It was a wonderful complement to the wedding ceremony, but amped up for the party! They had GORGEOUS lighting and great linens. The chairs were so-so (yes, I love the right chairs) but they disappeared in the overall look. The tree canopy really transformed the ballroom space into something completely new and unexpected for their guests. We didn't get to see much else of the reception, but what I saw was phenomenal to look at!

1. My favorite moment was probably the first dance. Not only were Jason & Molly serenaded by Gavin Degraw singing a gorgeous song, but they truly seemed like they were only focused on each other. All of the guests, cameras, and distractions disappeared for them. I could have lived without the shots of the other Bachelor stars crying, but it was a really nice moment!

One last thing, in true Bachelor fashion I was expecting something to be "the most dramatic Bachelor wedding EV-UR" but they completely avoided the drama and even using that famous line.

Overall, the wedding was gorgeous and Jason and Molly seemed truly happy even sopping wet. I loved when Molly said "this is SO fun" as they walked out of the ceremony in the middle of the monsoon. {Brides, you should definitely be like Molly and go with the flow if something uncontrollable throws you a loop on your wedding day.} Congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. and we wish you a life of love, all beginning on reality TV!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness! I thought the same thing. I can't believe NO ONE got them an umbrella or put a tent over the whole thing. Maybe it would have gotten in the way of the camera crew? Beeeutiful reception! I loved the lighting!

Tara Gibson said...

I couldnt believe the wedding planner had no plan B! I agree there should of been a tent readily avaliable. Someone could have at least given her an umbrella when they were leaving the ceremony! I wouldnt be a happy bride getting drenched like that haha

Her gown was stunning and the shoes were to die for.

CaitlinP said...

Loved the Pi Phi wedding expert's comments on a Pi Phi wedding ;-) wonder if there were any Pi Phi songs sung at that reception by the IN Betas?!?