Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day 2: Ball Gowns are BACK!

Continuing in my theknot.com trends for 2009 series, I am excited to announce that the Ball Gown is back! Hallelujah!

I have loved the days of the sexy, mermaid gown or the lacy fitted dress but I have to admit that the ball gown is still my very favorite wedding silhouette! I will also, in the same breath, say that not every bride is a ball gown girl and that I have yet to have a bride whose dress didn't match her personality perfectly. That's one thing I LOVE about my job---each bride gets to express her personality through her bridal style.

So, if you are a Southern ball gown kind of a girl, here are some tips to consider when selecting your dress...

A ball gown doesn't just work for a ballroom wedding. It can work in many different styles of weddings!

Choose a fabric that suits the style for your big day. Are you an outdoor bride? Choose a ball gown with a cooler fabric, like cotton or a light tulle. I love these dresses for an outdoor ball gown style...
Dresses by Priscilla of Boston, J.Crew, and Renella De Fina Couture.

Inside of a beautiful ballroom for a more formal affair? A silk satin dress may be a better fit for you.

Dresses by Anne Barge, Priscialla of Boston, and Anne Barge.

Remember that ball gowns can get heavy and hot. (Trust me on this one ladies. I speak from experience.) Have cold packs on hand, eat lots of grapes, and take some Tylenol when you wake up that morning.

You can also go with the trend of having 2 (sorry dads!) dresses for your wedding day. The ball gown can act as the more formal piece for your ceremony, and after you've cut the cake you could change into a sassier, sleek sheath dress for the dancing.
Reception dresses by Priscilla of Boston.

And, finally here are some of my favorite ball gowns from my brides...




Photos by Memories by Jody, Benfield Photography, Focused Exposure, and Family Photography.

Want to shop for fabulous dresses in Arkansas? Check out She Said Yes Bridal in Rogers and Low's in Brinkley.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

Ahhh!! I ADORE the Priscilla of Boston a-line dress with the gorgeous obi belt! Can I put dibs on this one? ;)